Door County's oldest church
The Ephraim Moravian Church is Door County’s oldest church, established in 1853 by Rev. Andreas Iverson. The Moravians began one hundred years before Martin Luther; John Hus (1369-1415) led a protest movement against many practices of the Roman Catholic clergy and hierarchy. Hus was accused of heresy and was burned at the stake on July 6, 1415. The Bethlehem Chapel in Prague, where Hus preached, became a rallying place for the reformation, and Hus’ followers established the ‘Unitas Fratrum” (Moravian Church) in 1457, the oldest Protestant denomination.
Moravians were the first missionaries in 1732, with missions to the Caribbean, Greenland, Labrador, South Africa and North America, and establishing permanent presence in Pennsylvania in 1741. The Moravian motto is “In Essentials Unity; In Non-Essentials Liberty; In All Things, Love.”
At Ephraim Moravian, we have services on Sundays at 10 a.m., adding 8 a.m. services in July through mid-October. Our church is totally accessible; Sunday nursery is available and there is Fellowship following each service. In July and August, join us on Anderson Dock in Ephraim for “Anderson Docks-ology” sunset services on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. These services are ecumenical, with special music each week. We hope you’ll join us!